Saying Goodbye is Never Easy...RIP Carl Bernard Sutton

This is honestly one of the hardest things about being expat- being so very far away when loved ones are hurting or leaving this world. It can sometimes make you question living so far away- weighing the positives and negatives about your life overseas.

We are going to miss this man, Jason's grandfather, Carl Bernard Sutton. Known as a great man- a true blessing to know. Jason and I have been together now for about 11 years and there are so many wonderful memories that I have of this man.

He was always the last one to finish eating, he loved listening to you talk (and was so attentive), he was so proud of his work (he built his own knives, beds, etc.,) but never bragged, he always "Carled" around- meaning he never stopped moving and was always finding some random project to do, he loved saving worms for the boys to feed to the ducks, he was the most organized man I've ever met, nature boy through and through, I loved the way he never got over my fear of snacks, worms and such and made the funniest face at me when I screamed at them, his family brought him so much joy, his tears (which were quite often) were the sweetest and most genuine, his "Sutton" drink he enjoyed every day at 5, calling everyone "little buddy" and many more that will continue to live in our hearts. :)

He wasn't my "grandfather" but in every sense he was. I looked up to him, he truly loved me and I loved him. He was, without a doubt, a man who lived his life to the very fullest. He died at the age of 92 but up until about a year ago was still going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, still serving on the board of CedarCrest (where they had a lakehouse), playing bridge and quite the social butterfly. I rarely saw him get angry, raise his voice or say a mean thing about anyone.

I know Jason, and his family, are going to miss him dearly. Life will go on but there will always be thoughts of this beautiful person- here and there reminding us of how truly blessed we were to all know and love him.

Here are a few pictures I have to share- memories we will never forget:





My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to Jason and his family- to Carl's wife he left behind, Doris. To his children- my mother-in-law, Jan, and her sister Joy and brother Mark. To his son and daughter-in-laws, grandchildren and great grandchildren as well. We are all missing this man....


Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.  ~From a headstone in Ireland


Comments

Popular Posts